WHAT IS CELTIC BASKETBALL?
Celtic Basketball Camp is an outstanding sports camp that combines intense basketball training with a unique and unforgettable camp atmosphere. It is led and taught by qualified and passionate coaches that have been involved in all levels of the sport from high-school to club, university and international programs. Here is what we offer to each basketball camper:
- Elite Coaching – With coaches from backgrounds in university and college to club and professional coaching, a significant and consistent amount of coaching experience is available to athletes at each court.
- Athlete-Specific Skill-Based Training – Each session is carefully planned to provide a variety of skill-based training specifically designed to the athletes. This includes individual skills and drills that athletes can take with them and practice at home, as well as group-based training where athletes learn key concepts in spacing and read-and-react fundamentals. Athletes are grouped by position, skill level and age in order to ensure that the coaching and skills are specific to each individual need of the athlete.
- Competition – We recognize that competition provides many opportunities for growth in athletes both in their skill development and character. For this reason, we run several tournaments (boys, girls, co-ed and 3-on-3) throughout the week. It is our belief that this competition encourages higher standards of achievement, allows players to practice their skills in game-situations, and teaches sportsmanship. These tournaments are also an opportunity to build camaraderie and teamwork among athletes from various locations and experiences.
- Opportunity for Team Training – Teams from across Ontario have been taking advantage of 5 days of concentrated team training. By registering as a team, athletes are able to move through the skill development and fundamental spacing drills together improving their ability to read each other and play concertedly. Teams have also found this beneficial because they leave camp using the same basketball vocabulary that helps them continue to build their understanding of the game together
- Chalk Talks from University Level Coaches – Throughout the week, athletes will be exposed to “chalk talks” from high level coaches. The topics of these sessions will include, but are not limited to, full-court transition spacing, half-court spacing, how to “practice better”, defensive principles, how to protect your body from injury (warm-up and cool downs, training, and nutrition), how to stand-out during tryouts, and tips for athletes wanting to take their game to the next level (high school, college or university).
- Newly Renovated Basketball Facility – Our basketball facilities include two outdoor courts as well as two newly renovated indoor courts with 4 extra side baskets. All of our courts have high-quality impact-resistant sport tiles that keep water, dirt and debris off the court and help prevent injury by creating a non-slip surface. This ensures that our programs and sessions are always able to run despite the weather on the Bruce Peninsula. It also keeps the athlete-to-hoop ratio low.
- Traditional Camp Experience – Not unlike our more traditional camp programs, Senior Basketball camp athletes have many opportunities to build leadership skills and develop not only as basketball players, but as individuals. They will have opportunities to participate in typical camp activities like large camp games, beach sessions, and of course, campfires! Unlike other basketball camps, at Camp Celtic we work to provide athletes with opportunities for growth on and off the court and it is our goal that after only a week, you will leave feeling part of the Camp Celtic Family.
In addition to daily basketball instruction and training, campers will enjoy all that camp experiences offer such as water sports (swimming, kayaking, sailing), climbing wall and ropes courses, camp wide games, and evening campfires.
MEET THE COACHES...
Started his coaching career in university basketball as an assistant coach with the Western Mustangs in 1982, has also worked extensively with both of Canada’s men’s and women’s national teams. He has also served in a variety of capacities with Canada’s U21 and U18 teams, represented Canada six times at the FISU Summer Universiade, and served as an assistant coach at the Goodwill Games in Brisbane, Australia in 2001.
- 34-year career Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) basketball, at Wilfrid Laurier and Laurentian Universities.
- Six-time OUA Coach of the Year
- CIS Coach of the Year (1996-97)
- Two-time Wilson Cup Champion (1998 and 2000)
- Seven appearances at National Championship
- Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team full-time assistant coach (2018 to present).
- U Sports National Championship team (2019 and 2020)
- Assistant coach for Wilfrid Laurier University men’s basketball team (2012-2018)
- Canada Summer Games Gold medal winner. (2017)
- Ottawa Black Jacks CEBL Lead Assistant. (2020)
- Head Coach Team Ontario. (2018)
- Played university basketball at both Wilfrid Laurier and Laurentian University.
Cost: The week at Celtic costs $645.00 (Plus HST) which includes cabin accommodation, all instruction and activities, all meals. There is a tuck shop on site for great Celtic gear.
Location: Camp Celtic is located on the rugged Bruce Peninsula near the village of Lion’s Head, Ontario.
For Additional Information... Contact Camp Celtic at (519) 793-3911 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org